Network drivers: New in the Windows Driver Kit (WDK) for Windows 8.1
The network driver section of the Windows Driver Kit (WDK) 8.1 introduces the following updates to network driver features and network driver documentation.
Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 introduce minor updates to the following features:
NDKPI 1.2 adds the following new elements to the NDKPI DDI:
- NdkSendAndInvalidate (NDK_FN_SEND_AND_INVALIDATE) function
- NdkGetCqResultsEx (NDK_FN_GET_CQ_RESULTS_EX) function
- NDK_RESULT_EX structure
- New request callback Flags value: NDK_OP_FLAG_DEFER
- New NDK_ADAPTER_INFOAdapterFlags value: NDK_ADAPTER_FLAG_RDMA_READ_LOCAL_INVALIDATE_SUPPORTED
IEEE 802.11ac very-high throughput (VHT) PHY is now supported. The following DDI elements have been updated:
- DOT11_PHY_TYPE enumeration
The Hyper-V Extensible Switch forwarding extension sample has been updated to implement Hybrid Forwarding.
The following documentation sections have been added or significantly expanded:
- Porting NDIS 6.x Drivers to NDIS 6.30
- Network Direct Kernel Provider Interface (NDKPI) Design Guide
- Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation (NVGRE) Task Offload
- Receive Segment Coalescing (RSC) Design Guide
- Getting Started Writing a Hyper-V Extensible Switch Extension
- NVGRE Task Offload Reference
The NetDMA interface is not supported in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and later. The documentation has now been updated to reflect this.