Supported Operating Systems and Hardware
Supported Operating Systems
The following operating systems fully support XNA Game Studio.
|Operating System||Supported Versions|
|Microsoft® Windows® XP||
- Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is supported, but is not required, for XNA Game Studio.
- Windows XP requires Service Pack 2 or later.
- Although XNA Game Studio itself is available only in English, it is supported under any of the available language settings on Windows.
- Administrator permissions are not required to run XNA Game Studio. However, Administrator permissions (administrative elevation on Windows Vista) are required to install XNA Game Studio.
- Although the setup program for XNA Game Studio will complete on the Windows 2003 Server and Windows 2008 Server operating systems, XNA Game Studio is not officially supported on these operating systems, and the XNA Game Studio software may not work as expected.
To run XNA Framework games on Windows, you need a graphics card that supports Shader Model 1.1 or greater and DirectX 9.0c. We recommend that you use a graphics card that supports Shader Model 2.0 because some samples and starter kits may require it.
Make sure that your graphics card is using the most recent drivers by checking with your hardware vendor and by accessing Microsoft Update.
Other hardware requirements for XNA Game Studio are identical to those for Visual Studio 2008. For more information, see the Visual Studio documentation.