Preinstallable apps for desktop devices
To add a preinstalled app to a desktop image
You will need to use the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) to pre-install Windows Store apps in your desktop images. Download the Windows ADK.
Request a preinstallation package
Once an app has been added to the Dev Center, you can request a preinstallation package for it. If you are the OEM adding this application to your OS image, you would ask the developer of the application to do this on your behalf. They would then give you the downloaded zip file. You cannot access their developer account directly.
- From the dashboard in Dev Center, select the app that is to be preinstalled. If it is a new app, click Create new app.
- Select manage published packages
- Select Request package for OS preinstallation
- A confirmation dialog will appear, noting that apps preinstalled on an OS prior to Windows 10 must be free. Select Enable.
- Find the correct package for the targeted OS and download by selecting Download or Generate package.
- Once ready the link will change to Download.
- Zip file is ready for inclusion in OS image.
Add the app to the OS image
In Windows 10, applications are consider Assets, which are configurable customizations that are not settings. You can add them using DISM, which is part of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK). Download the Windows ADK
Add the preinstalled app to the image using DISM
- Open the Deployment Tools Command Prompt, installed with the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK), with administrator privileges. From the Windows Start screen, type Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment, right-click the icon, and select Run as Administrator from the menu bar at the bottom of the screen.
Mount the offline image for servicing. At the command prompt, type:
Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:c:\images\myimage.wim /Index:1 /mountdir:c:\test\offline
Add the app to the mounted image. Use the
/PackagePathoption and the
/DependencyPackagePathoption to specify the location of the folder containing all of the unpacked files and the dependency files from the Store package.
/PackagePathshould specify the root folder for the extracted folders. The root folder contains the license.xml, AUMIDs.txt, and all of the package files. At the command prompt, type:
Dism /Image:c:\test\offline /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:c:\downloads\appxpackage /DependencyPackagePath:c:\downloads\appxpackagedependency
Save changes and unmount the image. At the command prompt, type:
Dism /Unmount-Image /mountdir:c:\test\offline /commit