Add New Project Dialog Box
Use this dialog box to create a new project for either the current or a new solution. See Creating Multi-Project Solutions for step-by-step instructions. To access this dialog box, select Add on the File menu.
- Project Types
- Displays folders for various categories of project types that you can select to filter the templates displayed in the right pane.
- Displays project templates for creating the initial files, tasks, references, code framework, and property settings for the selected project. For more information, select one of the following links.
Note If your anti-virus software displays an alert offering to block script that the project template or wizard is running, choose not to block script otherwise Visual Studio shuts down. You can prevent this alert from showing when script is run by clearing the anti-virus software's setting for blocking script, however, changing this setting disables all script blocking, not just for Visual Studio.
- Specifies the unique identifier for projects in the destination root directory.
Note For some project types, the Name textbox is unavailable because specifying the location sets the project name. For example, Web applications and XML Web services are located on a Web server and derive their name from the virtual directory specified on that server.
Names cannot contain the following characters:
- Pound (#)
- Percent (%)
- Ampersand (&)
- Asterisk (*)
- Vertical bar (|)
- Backslash (\)
- Colon (:)
- Double quotation mark (")
- Less than (<)
- Greater than (>)
- Question mark (?)
- Forward slash (/)
- Leading or trailing spaces (' ')
- Names reserved for Windows or DOS such as ("nul", "aux", "con", "com1", "lpt1", and so on)
- Enter the location where you want to create your project, choose an existing location from the drop-down list box, or navigate to a location using Browse. New projects are saved by default at the specified Visual Studio Projects Location. For more information, see Projects and Solutions, Environment, Options Dialog Box.
- Displays the Project Location dialog box, which allows you to locate and specify storage for the project.
- Large Icons
Displays large icons for items in the Templates pane.
- Small Icons
Displays small icons for items in the Templates pane.
Introduction to Solutions, Projects, and Items | Projects as Containers | Creating Multi-Project Solutions | Creating New Solutions and Projects | Projects and Solutions, Environment, Options Dialog Box | Adding New Project Items