|Important||This document may not represent best practices for current development, links to downloads and other resources may no longer be valid. Current recommended version can be found here. ArchiveDisclaimer|
Using Help in Visual Studio .NET
The Visual Studio .NET Help collection presents information about languages, designers, and technologies in a variety of ways. Use the following links to read more about how you can get the help you need, when you need it.
In This Section
- Strategies for Using Help
- Discusses how you can get specific results from the variety of Help features in Visual Studio .NET.
- Document Conventions
- Shows how typographical conventions are used to indicate the meaning and function of text in Help topics.
- Graphics within Help Topics
- Shows the three different graphics that can be displayed in topic headers and describes how they link to additional types of information related to the topics.
- Tips for Using the Help Keyword Index
- Describes ways you can optimize and limit the results you get from using the Index window.
- Using the Combined Help Collection Manager
- Explains when and how you can select which Help collections to include in the default "Visual Studio .NET Combined Help Collection" (VSCC).
- Browsing Code and Components
- Explains how you can use the Object Browser to look inside the components, classes, and libraries your projects can use.
- Sample Viewer
- Use the Sample Viewer to load a sample solution and copy its source files, copy a sample's source files without loading the solution, or view a sample's non-binary source files.
- Creating and Using Filters
- Describes ways to narrow the scope of documentation that Help displays.
- Locating Information
- Summarizes the ways you can find topics and articles using Microsoft Document Explorer.
- Finding Information with Full-Text Search
- Describes how to use the Search window.
- Help, Environment, Options Dialog Box a
- Allows you to set options for Preferred Language and Preferred Collection.
- Customizing Dynamic Help
- Describes ways you can change the content displayed in the Dynamic Help window and context it uses to determine the links it provides.
- Customizing Microsoft Document Explorer
- Describes the various aspects of the viewer that you can change.
- Locating Readme Files
- Lists the various Readme files for the designers, languages, and products that are part of the integrated development environment (IDE).
- What's New in Visual Studio .NET
- Summarizes the new and enhanced features available with this version of Visual Studio.