Microsoft Experience Development Kit
The Microsoft Device Experience Development Kit provides information and material that you need to know to develop Device Stage experiences for eligible devices.
File name: MicrosoftDeviceExperienceDevelopmentKit_7R4.msi
Device Stage provides a way for users to interact with eligible devices in Windows 7. It includes a visual interface that makes it easy for customers to find and use applications and services for their devices. Device Stage also provides a multifunction version of AutoPlay for certain eligible devices. Device makers that develop device experiences for Device Stage use a new set of XML schemas to specify rich branding and customization of the interface, including defining custom tasks to install software and links to services. Device makers can update their custom Device Stage experiences by submitting updates to Microsoft for distribution across the Internet to PCs running Windows 7.
Device Stage applies to the following device classes:
- Document devices (printer, scanner, multi-function printer)
- Keyboards and mice
- Mobile broadband devices (USB modem)
- Portable devices (mobile phone, portable media player, digital still camera)
- Smart card devices
- Webcam devices
This is the 7R4 release of the kit.
This release adds the following new components:
- Schema update for ARM processor support
- Updated Windows 7 Device Stage Portable Device Class Development Guide
The 7R4 kit is organized into several sections. This organization helps you first to learn general concepts that apply to all device classes and then to build a device experience for a specific device class. The 7R4 kit includes the following components:
- Windows 7 Device Stage General Development Kit
- Windows 7 Device Stage Document Devices Development Kit
- Windows 7 Device Stage Keyboards and Mice Kit •Windows 7 Device Stage Mobile Broadband Devices Kit
- Windows 7 Device Stage PC Kit
- Windows 7 Device Stage Portable Devices Development Kit
- Windows 7 Device Stage Smart Card Devices Kit
- Windows 7 Device Stage Webcam Kit
The General Development Kit provides general documentation about Device Stage, the XML schemas that define the interface to Device Stage, and a set of sample development tools to use with the sample development templates provided for each device class. You must understand the information in the General Development Kit section regardless of the type of device for which you want to develop an experience.
Each device class kit provides documentation specific to the device class, sample development templates specific to each device class for use with the sample development tools, and a tutorial for building a Device Stage experience for the specific device class. Some device class kits provide further samples or information relevant to the features and functionality of the specific device class. To successfully build a Device Stage experience for your device class, you must understand both the information in the General Development Kit as well as the information in the kit specific to the device class for which you want to develop a Device Stage experience.