Threads and Critical Sections
This section describes threading in DirectShow filters, and the steps you should take to avoid crashes or deadlocks in a custom filter.
The examples in this section use pseudocode to illustrate the code you will need to write. They assume that a custom filter is using classes derived from the DirectShow base classes, as follows:
- CMyInputPin: Derived from CBaseInputPin.
- CMyOutputPin: Derived from CBaseOutputPin.
- CMyFilter: Derived from CBaseFilter.
- CMyInputAllocator: The input pin's allocator, derived from CMemAllocator. Not every filter needs a custom allocator. For many filters, the CMemAllocator class is sufficient.
This section contains the following topics.
- The Streaming and Application Threads
- Receiving and Delivering Samples
- Delivering the End of Stream
- Flushing Data
- Getting Buffers
- Streaming Threads and the Filter Graph Manager
- Summary of Filter Threading