SetDNSServerSearchOrder method of the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration class
The SetDNSServerSearchOrder WMI class method uses an array of string elements to set the server search order.
This topic uses Managed Object Format (MOF) syntax. For more information about using this method, see Calling a Method.
- DNSServerSearchOrder [in]
List of server IP addresses to query for DNS servers.
Example: 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52
Returns a value of 0 (zero) for a successful completion when no reboot is required, 1 (one) for a successful completion when a reboot is required, and a different number if there is an error. For more information on error codes, see WMI Error Constants or WbemErrorEnum. For general HRESULT values, see System Error Codes.
- Successful completion, no reboot required (0)
- Successful completion, reboot required (1)
- Method not supported on this platform (64)
- Unknown failure (65)
- Invalid subnet mask (66)
- An error occurred while processing an Instance that was returned (67)
- Invalid input parameter (68)
- More than 5 gateways specified (69)
- Invalid IP address (70)
- Invalid gateway IP address (71)
- An error occurred while accessing the Registry for the requested information (72)
- Invalid domain name (73)
- Invalid host name (74)
- No primary/secondary WINS server defined (75)
- Invalid file (76)
- Invalid system path (77)
- File copy failed (78)
- Invalid security parameter (79)
- Unable to configure TCP/IP service (80)
- Unable to configure DHCP service (81)
- Unable to renew DHCP lease (82)
- Unable to release DHCP lease (83)
- IP not enabled on adapter (84)
- IPX not enabled on adapter (85)
- Frame/network number bounds error (86)
- Invalid frame type (87)
- Invalid network number (88)
- Duplicate network number (89)
- Parameter out of bounds (90)
- Access denied (91)
- Out of memory (92)
- Already exists (93)
- Path, file or object not found (94)
- Unable to notify service (95)
- Unable to notify DNS service (96)
- Interface not configurable (97)
- Not all DHCP leases could be released/renewed (98)
- DHCP not enabled on adapter (100)
- Other (101–4294967295)
This is an instance-dependent method call that applies on a per-adapter basis. After static DNS servers are specified to start using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) instead of static DNS servers, you can call the method without supplying "in" parameters.
The Set DNS Server Search Order for Multiple Computers in an Organizational Unit VBScript sample on TechNet Gallery retrieves or sets DNS Server search order for multiple computers that belongs to one organizational unit.
The Modify the DNS Server Search Order for a Network Adapter VBScript sample configures a TCP/IP-bound network adapter to use two DNS servers.
Minimum supported client
Minimum supported server
Windows Server 2008
- Computer System Hardware Classes
- WMI Tasks: Networking
- WMI Tasks: Accounts and Domains
- IPv6 and IPv4 Support in WMI