EnableWINS method of the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration class
The EnableWINS WMI class static method enables Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS) settings specific to TCP/IP, but independent of the network adapter.
This topic uses Managed Object Format (MOF) syntax. For more information about using this method, see Calling a Method.
uint32 EnableWINS( [in] boolean DNSEnabledForWINSResolution, [in] boolean WINSEnableLMHostsLookup, [in, optional] string WINSHostLookupFile, [in, optional] string WINSScopeID );
- DNSEnabledForWINSResolution [in]
If true, the Domain Name System (DNS) is enabled for name resolution over WINS resolution.
- WINSEnableLMHostsLookup [in]
If true, local lookup files are used. Lookup files will contain mappings of IP addresses to host names.
- WINSHostLookupFile [in, optional]
Lookup files that contain mappings of IP addresses to host names. If available, the files will be found in %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\….
- WINSScopeID [in, optional]
Scope identifier value that will be appended to the end of the computer's NetBIOS name. Systems that use the same scope identifier can communicate with this computer.
Returns a value of 0 (zero) for a successful completion when no reboot is required; 1 (one) for a successful completion when a reboot is required; a different number if there is an error. For more information on error codes, see WMI Error Constants or WbemErrorEnum. For general HRESULT values, see System Error Codes.
- Successful completion, no reboot required (0)
- Successful completion, reboot required (1)
- Method not supported on this platform (64)
- Unknown failure (65)
- Invalid subnet mask (66)
- An error occurred while processing an Instance that was returned (67)
- Invalid input parameter (68)
- More than 5 gateways specified (69)
- Invalid IP address (70)
- Invalid gateway IP address (71)
- An error occurred while accessing the Registry for the requested information (72)
- Invalid domain name (73)
- Invalid host name (74)
- No primary/secondary WINS server defined (75)
- Invalid file (76)
- Invalid system path (77)
- File copy failed (78)
- Invalid security parameter (79)
- Unable to configure TCP/IP service (80)
- Unable to configure DHCP service (81)
- Unable to renew DHCP lease (82)
- Unable to release DHCP lease (83)
- IP not enabled on adapter (84)
- IPX not enabled on adapter (85)
- Frame/network number bounds error (86)
- Invalid frame type (87)
- Invalid network number (88)
- Duplicate network number (89)
- Parameter out of bounds (90)
- Access denied (91)
- Out of memory (92)
- Already exists (93)
- Path, file or object not found (94)
- Unable to notify service (95)
- Unable to notify DNS service (96)
- Interface not configurable (97)
- Not all DHCP leases could be released/renewed (98)
- DHCP not enabled on adapter (100)
- Other (101–4294967295)
The Enable WINS for All Network Adapters VBScript code sample, on TechNet Gallery, uses EnableWINS to Enables WINS on all the network adapters installed in a computer.
Minimum supported client
Minimum supported server
Windows Server 2008
- Computer System Hardware Classes
- WMI Tasks: Networking
- WMI Tasks: Accounts and Domains
- IPv6 and IPv4 Support in WMI