Using the tools
Learn how to use the development and design tools for creating Windows Runtime apps.
Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 lets you share code between Windows Store apps and Windows Phone Store apps. To create universal Windows apps, you'll need to either:
- Install Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 Update 2 for Windows.
- Or download Update 2 separately. For more info, see the support article for the update.
This section, along with Debugging and testing apps, covers all things Visual Studio:
- Descriptions of each app type (Windows Store app, Windows Phone Store app, and universal Windows app) and the associated project templates.
- Visual Studio is a collection of tools that you can use to create, code, debug, localize, package, and deploy a Windows Runtime app.
- Visual Studio templates provide a starting point to help you create Windows Runtime apps using Visual Studio.
- Blend for Visual Studio helps you design and build user interfaces by providing you with an accurate design surface and tools that let you visually create and edit Windows Runtime apps.