Getting Started: Next Steps
You can now start writing more involved Windows Store apps based on the apps that you started in these brief walkthroughs. With this foundation to build upon, we invite you to explore the following additional resources:
- Building Universal Windows apps for all Windows devices: An introduction on building apps for desktops, laptops, tablets and phones using the same Visual Studio solution and shared code.
- Windows 8 Development: An overview of Windows Store app development principles like live tiles, features like app contracts, frameworks like the Windows Runtime, tools like the Windows Driver Kit (WDK), and more.
- Designing UX for apps: How to plan the user experience, get design guidance for Windows Store categories like games and productivity apps, and download design assets like PSDs.
- App contracts and extensions: How to declare agreements between your apps and other apps and Windows, for example the Play To contract and the Game Explorer extension.
- Working with tiles, badges, and toast notifications: How to create tiles, update tiles and their badges, send toast notifications, and show and update tile and badge updates on the lock screen.
- Launching, resuming, and multitasking: How to auto-launch, activate, suspend, and resume apps, and how to work with background tasks.
- Guidelines for roaming application data: How to provide a great end-user experience for apps where the user utilizes more than one device, such as a PC at work and a tablet at home.
- Windows Store app samples gallery: Hundreds of samples for you to browse, download, and experiment with.
- Create your first Windows Runtime app using C# or Visual Basic: A topic focusing on Windows Phone development.
- Videos for iOS and Android devs: Some more help, this time in visual format.
Also, be sure to visit our Community resources to learn how to get help and get connected through developer forums, blogs, developer camps and workshops, and local Microsoft events and contacts.
We think that Windows 8 will open up new app-building opportunities for you. We look forward to seeing all of the great apps that you're going to build!
- Topics for iOS devs
- Resources for iOS devs
- Windows 8 controls for iOS devs
- Windows 8 cookbook for iOS devs