Managing Solutions, Projects, and Files
The following topics describe common tasks you can perform when working with solutions and projects.
In This Section
Understand the concepts of solutions, projects, and items as well as the advantages of using Visual Studio .NET to manage your development projects and files.
- Creating New Solutions and Projects
- Start new projects in Visual Studio.
- Using Solution Explorer
- Manage items in Solution Explorer.
- Multi-Project Solutions
- Work on more than one project at a time within one instance of the integrated development environment (IDE).
- Adding and Removing Solution Items
- Share items in a solution with multiple projects.
- Managing Files in the Miscellaneous Files Folder
- Work on files that are not associated with a project or solution.
- Adding New Project Items
- Work on items that are associated with a specific project.
- Adding and Removing Web References
- Expose Web Services in your application and find additional Web Service-related topics.
- Managing Files with Encoding
- Work with files that have language encoding.
- Preparing and Managing Builds
- Configure builds for solutions and projects.
- Deploying Applications
- Distribute your finished application or component to other computers.
- Editing Code, HTML, and Text
- Use the Code Editor.
- Managing Projects
- Manage files in projects that are specific to Visual Basic .NET and C#.
- Creating and Managing Visual C++ Projects
- Work with files in projects specific to Visual C++ .NET.
- Globalization and Localization Issues
- Incorporate encoding standards such as ANSI, Unicode, and others.
- File Installation Management in Deployment
- Use the File System Editor to manage distribution of your files.
- File Types Management in Deployment
- Control how a target computer reads and implements files based on file extensions.
- Adding Solutions and Projects to Source Control
- Apply Source Control to manage versions of your solutions and projects.
- Designing Distributed Applications
- Consider the high-level view of application design in Visual Studio .NET.
- Choosing Tools and Technologies
- Decide which technologies best suit your development requirements.
- Build Configurations
- Examine the project and solution build processes provided by Visual Studio .NET.
- Deploying Applications and Components
- Explore the deployment tools and technologies.
- Introduction to Solutions, Projects, and Items
- Understand how solutions and projects manage files for you.