Web Forms Data Binding
As in most types of forms, Web Forms pages allow you to display information by binding controls to a source of data. However, due to the nature of Web Forms pages themselves and to the architecture of Web programming, data binding in Web Forms pages is somewhat different than it is in other, more traditional forms such as Windows Forms.
The topics in this section discuss how data binding works in Web Forms pages and how to specify data binding for various types of controls.
In This Section
- Introduction to Data Binding in Web Forms Pages
- Provides an overview of how controls in a Web Forms page are bound to data.
- Multi-Record and Single-Value Data Binding for Web Forms Pages
- Describes the differences between binding a multi-record control (such as a DataList control) and a control that displays only a single data value (such as a TextBox control).
- Data-Binding Expressions for Web Forms Pages
- Describes how Web Forms control data binding is specified through the use of a special syntax.
- Data Binding Multi-Record Web Server Controls
- Provides step-by-step instructions on how to bind a control such as a DataList or DataGrid control to a data source containing more than one record.
- Data Binding Single-Value Web Server Controls at Design Time
- Provides step-by-step instructions on how to bind a Web server control property (using a data-binding expression) to a single data value.
- Data Binding HTML Server Controls
- Provides step-by-step instructions on how to bind property values of HTML server controls (such as the HtmlInputText or HtmlSelect control) to a data source.
- Data Binding Single-Value Web Server Controls at Run Time
- Describes how to programmatically use event handlers to load data values into control properties.
- Introduction to Data Access with ADO.NET
- Provides an overview of how ADO.NET provides data access capability for your applications.
- Data Access in Web Forms Pages
- Lists topics that describe how data access works in Web Forms pages.
- Data Form Wizard
- Creates data-bound Windows Forms or Web Forms pages. The topics describes how to run the wizard, what options you can choose, and what the wizard generates.
- Performing Database Operations Directly
- Lists topics that describe how to use data commands to execute SQL statements or stored procedures against a database.
- Dataset Updates in Visual Studio .NET
- Lists topics that describe how ADO.NET provides capabilities for writing data from your application a data source.
- Database Updates from Datasets
- Lists topics that describe how to write data from an ADO.NET dataset to a data source.
- Walkthrough: Updating Data Using a Database Update Query in Web Forms
- Gives step-by-step details on updating data using a database query in a Web Forms page.
- Walkthrough: Using a DataGrid Web Control to Read and Write Data
- Illustrates step-by-step how to use a DataGrid control on a Web Forms page to read data and update it.