Visual Basic Language Walkthroughs
Walkthroughs give step-by-step instructions for common scenarios, which makes them a good place to start learning about the product or a particular feature area.
- Declaring and Raising Events
Illustrates how events are declared and raised in Visual Basic.
- Handling Events
Shows how to handle events using either the standard WithEvents keyword or the new AddHandler/RemoveHandler keywords.
- Creating and Implementing Interfaces
Shows how interfaces are declared and implemented in Visual Basic.
- Defining Classes
Describes how to declare a class and its fields, properties, methods, and events.
- Writing Queries in Visual Basic
Demonstrates how you can use Visual Basic language features to write Language-Integrated Query (LINQ) query expressions.
- Implementing IEnumerable(Of T) in Visual Basic
Demonstrates how to create a class that implements the IEnumerable(Of String) interface and a class that implements the IEnumerator(Of String) interface to read a text file one line at a time.
- Structured Exception Handling
Demonstrates how to create and maintain programs with comprehensive error handling, and how to use Try...Catch...Finally.
- Calling Windows APIs
Explains how to use Declare statements and call Windows APIs. Includes information about using attributes to control marshaling for the API call and how to expose an API call as a method of a class.
- Creating COM Objects with Visual Basic
Demonstrates how to create COM objects in Visual Basic, both with and without the COM class template.
- Implementing Inheritance with COM Objects
Demonstrates how to use Visual Basic 6.0 to create a COM object containing a class, and then use it as a base class in Visual Basic.
Shows how to create a multithreaded application that searches a text file for occurrences of a word.
- Determining Where My.Application.Log Writes Information
Describes the default My.Application.Log settings and how to determine the settings for your application.
- Changing Where My.Application.Log Writes Information
Shows how to override the default My.Application.Log and My.Log settings for logging event information and cause the Log object to write to other log listeners.
- Filtering My.Application.Log Output
Demonstrates how to change the default log filtering for the My.Application.Log object.
- Creating Custom Log Listeners
Demonstrates how to create a custom log listener and configure it to listen to the output of the My.Application.Log object.
- Turning Off My.Application.Log Output
Demonstrates how to turn off the default log filtering for the My.Application.Log object.
- Embedding Types from Managed Assemblies
Describes how to create an assembly and a client program that embeds types from it.
- Validating That Passwords Are Complex (Visual Basic)
Demonstrates how to check for strong-password characteristics and update a string parameter with information about which checks a password fails.
- Encrypting and Decrypting Strings in Visual Basic
Shows how to use the DESCryptoServiceProvider class to encrypt and decrypt strings.
- Manipulating Files and Folders in Visual Basic
Demonstrates how to use Visual Basic functions to determine information about a file, search for a string in a file, and write to a file.
- Manipulating Files Using .NET Framework Methods
Demonstrates how to use .NET Framework methods to determine information about a file, search for a string in a file, and write to a file.
- Persisting an Object in Visual Basic
Demonstrates how to create a simple object and persist its data to a file.
- Test-First Support with the Generate from Usage Feature
Demonstrates how to do test-first development, in which you first write unit tests and then write the source code to make the tests succeed.
(1500 characters remaining)
Thank you for your feedback