Deploying the .NET Framework 1.1 Using Systems Management Server 2.0
Systems Management Server (SMS) allows you to deploy software with administrative privileges across a network. This section describes the specific procedures for using SMS to deploy the Windows Installer setup package for Dotnetfx.exe across a network. For additional SMS product information and documentation, see the Systems Management Server Home Page and Deploying Windows Installer Setup Packages with Systems Management Server 2.0.
In addition, there are minimum configuration requirements that must be met in order to install the .NET Framework on a computer. For specific software and hardware requirements and recommendations, see Minimum Configuration Requirements in the article Redistributing the .NET Framework 1.1.
After the network administrator has ensured that all networked computers on which Dotnetfx.exe will be installed meet the minimum configuration requirements, the following five tasks and their individual procedures must be performed on the SMS Server. These procedures must be performed in the order in which they are presented.
First, extract the Dotnetfx.exe file that you will use to deploy the .NET Framework.
To extract the Dotnetfx.exe file to deploy the .NET Framework
- Download Dotnetfx.exe to the root directory of the C:\ drive on your local computer.
- Open a command prompt.
- Change the directory to the root of the C:\ drive.
mkdir dotnetfxat the command prompt to create a directory in which to copy Dotnetfx.exe.
dotnetfx.exe /q /c:"msiexec /qb /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR=c:\dotnetfx"at the command prompt to extract the files to the dotnetfx directory.
- Close the command prompt window.
- Navigate to the C:\dotnetfx folder in Windows Explorer and verify that the files were extracted.
- Move the dotnetfx folder and all its contents to the server that you will use for deployment.
After you have moved the dotnetfx folder to the proper location for deployment, the next step is to create an Active Directory package for the .NET Framework.
To create a .NET Framework package
- Open the SMS Administrator console. Click Start, point to Programs, and choose Systems Management Server.
- Expand the Site Database node, and right-click the Packages node in the Site Database tree.
- From the Action menu, point to New, and choose Package. The Package Properties dialog box is displayed.
- In the Package Properties dialog box, click the General tab and complete the information as follows:
Name: .NET Framework
- In the Package Properties dialog box, click the Data Source tab.
- Click the This package contains source files check box.
- Click the Always obtain files from source directory option button.
- Click the Set button. The Set Source Directory dialog box is displayed.
- In the Set Source Directory dialog box, click the Local drive on site server OR Network Path (UNC Name) option button. (This depends on how one wants to share out the deployable program.)
- Click the Browse button. The Browse for Folder dialog box is displayed.
- Select the C:\DotNetFx directory or provide the server location (\\<servername>\<foldername>), where you extracted the files to previously.
- In the Browse for Folder dialog box, click OK.
- In the Set Source Directory dialog box, click OK.
- In the Package Properties dialog box, click OK.
Next, create a .NET Framework program for the .NET Framework package. Each SMS package contains at least one SMS program, which is a command line that runs on each targeted computer to control the execution of the package.
To create a program for the .NET Framework package
- Expand the Microsoft .NET Framework <version#> English node, located under the Packages node.
- Right-click Programs, point to New, and choose Program. The Program Properties dialog box is displayed.
- In the Program Properties dialog box, click the General tab and complete the information as follows:
Name: .NET Framework Program
Command line: msiexec /i netfx.msi /q ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1
Optional arguments ARPNOREMOVE=1
- In the Program Properties dialog box, click the Environment tab.
- Clear the User input required check box.
- Click the option button Run with administrative rights.
- Click OK.
Next, create a distribution point for the .NET Framework package. SMS Distribution Points are shares on site systems where package source files are copied for access by client computers.
To create a .NET Framework distribution point
- Right-click Distribution Points, located under the Microsoft .NET Framework <version#> English node.
- Select New, and choose Distribution Points. The New Distribution Points Wizard appears.
- In the New Distribution Points Wizard dialog box, click the Next button.
- Select the distribution point to which you want to copy the .NET Framework package.
- Click Finish to start the distribution.
Finally, create an advertisement for the .NET Framework program. An advertisement specifies the program that is available to client computers, which computers will receive the advertisement, and when the program will be scheduled for installation.
To create a .NET Framework advertisement
Note You could set a schedule before creating an ASSIGNMENT, which helps in setting a time for when the package will be deployed on target machines. It can be set by going to the Schedule tab and creating a mandatory assignment for the current time (or schedule one for later time).
- In the Site Database tree, right-click the Advertisements node
- Select New, and choose Advertisement. The Advertisement Properties dialog box is displayed.
- In the Advertisement Properties dialog box, complete the information in the General tab as follows:
.NET Framework Advertisementin the Name section.
Select Microsoft .NET Framework <version#> English from the Package drop-down list.
Select .NET Framework Program from the Program drop-down list.
- Click the Browse button and select the appropriate collection of computers on which to deploy the .NET Framework.
- Click OK.