Microsoft ActiveX Control Pad
January 20, 1997
Microsoft® Internet Explorer 3.x and ActiveX™ technologies provide a smart, compelling Web development platform: Microsoft ActiveX Control Pad. The ActiveX Control Pad is an authoring tool that lets you add ActiveX controls and ActiveX scripting (Visual Basic® Scripting Edition (VBScript) or JScript) to your HTML pages with point-and-click ease.
The ActiveX Control Pad also includes the Microsoft HTML Layout Control, which provides layout capabilities based on the HTML extensions proposed by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). Using the ActiveX Control Pad, you can easily author pages that include advanced layout and multimedia features such as exact object placement, object layering, and transparency effects.
(Editor's note, September 4, 1997: The HTML Layout Control technology, originally released with Internet Explorer 3.0, is now natively supported by Internet Explorer 4.0. Please see ActiveX Control Pad and the HTML Layout Control for further information.)
To run the Microsoft® ActiveX™ Control Pad 1.0, you need the following:
- A personal computer with a minimum 80486 microprocessor running Microsoft Windows® 95 or Windows NT® 4.0 Beta 2
- 12 MB of RAM
- 10 MB of free disk space on your hard drive
- The latest release of Internet Explorer (3.x or higher)
The file provided for downloading below (SETUPPAD.EXE) is a self-extracting, self-installing zip file. After downloading it to your system:
- Run SETUPPAD.EXE to start setup.
- Follow the setup instructions on your screen.
- Open the ActiveX Control Pad README file from the Windows 95 Start menu to review important information about the product.
Downloading the ActiveX Control Pad:
Download Microsoft ActiveX Control Pad 1.0 release (2.7 MB):
IMPORTANT! Japanese users, please install the following additional required component:
Download additional Japanese component (134 KB):