File Systems and Data Store (Windows CE 5.0)
The file system and data store for Microsoft® Windows® CE is referred to as the object store. The object store consists of a file system, database, and system registry that share a single memory heap. It provides persistent storage for applications and their related data even when the main power supply is lost. The object store can be up to 256 MB of compressible, nonvolatile, RAM storage. It integrates the read-only files that are stored in ROM with the read/write files of both an application and a user.
The file system can be either a RAM and ROM file system, or a ROM-only file system:
- The RAM and ROM file system provides file storage for the object store in RAM, and provides access to ROM.
- The ROM-only file system does not allow applications to place files in the object store, and ROM data is inaccessable through the Windows directory.
For more information, see Selecting the Internal File System for your Target Device.
The database provides storage, access, and sorting of property-set records. The default database for Windows CE is the CEDB database. Windows CE also includes support for the EDB database, which enhances the functionality of CEDB. For more information, see Databases.
The system registry stores data about applications, drivers, user preferences, and other configuration settings. The registry for Windows CE can be either a RAM-based or hive-based registry. For more information, see Registry Types.
In This Section
- File Systems and Data Store Catalog Items
- Provides descriptions and Sysgen variable information for the File Systems and Data Store Catalog items.
- File Systems and Data Store OS Design Development
- Provides OEM guide and API reference information for the file system and data store.
- File Systems and Data Store Application Development
- Provides API reference information for application developers on how they can use file system and data store functionality in applications.
- File Systems and Data Store Registry Settings
- Provides a partial list of registry settings required to configure an OS design to enable file system and data store functionality.
- File Systems and Data Store Security
- Provides security and best practices information for file system and data store functionality.
- File Systems and Data Store Reference
- Provides reference information about the file system and data store OS APIs available for use in Windows CE-based applications.
- Windows CE Features
- Provides links and information about the technologies and functionality that can be included in OS designs.
Send Feedback on this topic to the authors