About ISA Server Services
ISA Server acts as a gateway to the Internet, implementing security in three security layers: the IP packet layer, the application layer, and the circuit layer. This multilayered approach is made possible by the services included with ISA Server:
- The Microsoft® ISA Server Control service (isactrl). This service is responsible for restarting the other services as necessary, generating alerts, running actions, and other functions.
- The Microsoft Firewall service (fwsrv). This service is implemented at the circuit-layer level.
- The Microsoft ISA Server Storage (ISASTG). This service provides local storage for the ISA Server configuration.
- The Microsoft ISA Server Job Scheduler service (isasched). This service downloads content from the Internet according to a user-defined schedule.
- The MSSQL$MSFW service (MSSQL$MSFW). This service is the instance of the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE), called the Microsoft Data Engine, that is installed with ISA Server and is used for logging.
This section contains the following sections: