|Important||This document may not represent best practices for current development, links to downloads and other resources may no longer be valid. Current recommended version can be found here. ArchiveDisclaimer|
Deployment in Visual Studio .NET is based on Windows Installer technology and differs greatly from the setup technologies found in earlier versions of Visual Studio. The following topics cover basic concepts related to deployment in Visual Studio .NET.
In This Section
- Introduction to Microsoft Windows Installer
- Provides an overview of Windows Installer technology.
- Introduction to Merge Modules
- Provides an overview of merge modules that can be used to distribute components.
- Installer vs. Merge Module Recommendations
- Explains when to use merge modules instead of installers.
- Retargetable Merge Modules
- Describes creating merge modules that can be configured by other developers.
- Files, Folders, and Deployment
- Explains how to control where files are installed.
- Deployment and Associations
- Explains how to associate file extensions with an application.
- Deployment and Authenticode Signing
- Describes the use of Authenticode signing in deployment.
- Deployment and Dependencies
- Describes the role of dependencies in deployment.
- Deployment and Localization
- Describes creating localized installers.
- Deployment and the Registry
- Provides an overview of working with the registry.
- Deployment and the Run-Time User Interface
- Explains how to provide a user interface during installation.
- Deployment and the Global Assembly Cache
- Describes the installation of assemblies to the global assembly cache.
- Custom Actions
- Describes running scripts or programs as part of an installation.
- Administrative Installation
- Describes installation to an application server.
- Conditional Deployment
- Provides an overview of using conditions for selective installation.
- Deployment Conditions
- Describes conditions that are used in conditional deployment.
- Deployment Dialog Boxes
- Provides links to topics that describe each of the installation dialog boxes.
- Installation Dialog Box Restrictions
- Describes limitations and restrictions for installation dialog boxes.