Console Application Template
The Console Application project template adds the necessary items needed to create a console application. Console applications are typically designed without a graphical user interface and are compiled into a stand-alone executable file. A console application is run from the command line with input and output information being exchanged between the command prompt and the running application. Because information can be written to and read from the console window, this makes the console application a great way to learn new programming techniques without having to be concerned with the user interface.
The template automatically adds the essential project references and files to use as a starting point for your application:
- AssemblyInfo (.vb file for Visual Basic or .cs file for Visual C#) - Used to describe the assembly and specify versioning information. For more information, see Programming with Assemblies.
- Class (.vb file for Visual Basic or .cs for Visual C#) - Contains the empty class module.
- References to these .NET Framework namespaces:
- System - Contains fundamental classes and base classes that define commonly used values and reference data types, events and event handlers, interfaces, attributes, and processing exceptions.
- System.Data - Contains classes that constitute the ADO.NET architecture, which is the primary data access method for managed applications.
- System.Xml - Contains classes that provide standards-based support for processing XML.