Database Engine Tutorials
Applies To: SQL Server 2016 Preview
This section contains tutorials for SQL Server 2016 Database Engine.
- Tutorial: Getting Started with the Database Engine
This tutorial teaches how to connect to an instance of the Database Engine.
- Tutorial: SQL Server Management Studio
This tutorial introduces you to the integrated environment for managing your SQL Server infrastructure. SQL Server Management Studio presents a graphical interface for configuring, monitoring, and administering instances of SQL Server. It also allows you to deploy, monitor, and upgrade the data-tier components used by your applications, such as databases and data warehouses. SQL Server Management Studio also provides Transact-SQL, MDX, DMX, and XML language editors for editing and debugging scripts.
- Tutorial: Writing Transact-SQL Statements
This tutorial teaches the fundamental skills of writing the Transact-SQL statements for creating and managing objects in a SQL Server database.
- Tutorial: Database Engine Tuning Advisor
This tutorial introduces you to using the advisor to examine how queries are processed, and then review recommendations for improving query performance.
- Tutorial: Using the hierarchyid Data Type
This tutorial teaches how to convert a table to a hierarchical structure, and then manage the data in the table.
- Tutorial: Signing Stored Procedures with a Certificate
This tutorial illustrates signing stored procedures using a certificate generated by SQL Server.
- Tutorial: Ownership Chains and Context Switching
This tutorial uses a scenario to illustrate SQL Server security concepts involving ownership chains and user context switching.
- Tutorial: Administering Servers by Using Policy-Based Management
This tutorial teaches how to create policies that enforce site administration standards.
- Tutorial: Evaluating Best Practices by Using Policy-Based Management
This tutorial teaches how to create policies that can be used to analyze instances of the Database Engine for known issues.
- Tutorial: SQL Server Backup and Restore to Windows Azure Blob Storage Service
This tutorial illustrates how to do a SQL Server backup and restore to the Windows Azure Blob Storage Service.
- Tutorial: SQL Server Data Files in Windows Azure Storage service
This tutorial helps you understand how to store SQL Server data files in the Windows Azure Blob storage service directly.