Kinect for Windows 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8
You must meet the following system requirements to develop applications using the Kinect for Windows SDK.
Supported Operating Systems and Architectures
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows Embedded Standard 7
- Windows Embedded Standard 8
- If your Windows 7 edition is Windows 7 N or Windows 7 KN, you must install the Media Feature Pack, which is required by the Kinect for Windows runtime.
- Your computer must have the following minimum capabilities.
- 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processors
- Dual-core, 2.66-GHz or faster processor
- USB 2.0 bus dedicated to the Kinect
- 2 GB of RAM
- Graphics card that supports DirectX 9.0c
- A Microsoft Kinect for Windows Sensor
Kinect Fusion Hardware Requirements
Kinect Fusion can process data either on a DirectX 11 compatible GPU with C++ AMP, or on the CPU, by setting the reconstruction processor type during reconstruction volume creation. The CPU processor is best suited to offline processing as only modern DirectX 11 GPUs will enable real-time and interactive frame rates during reconstruction.
Minimum Hardware Requirements for GPU based reconstruction
DirectX 11 compatible graphics card.
Kinect Fusion has been tested on the NVidia GeForce GTX560, and the AMD Radeon 6950. These cards, or higher end cards from the same product lines are expected to be able to run at interactive rates.
Desktop PC with 3GHz (or better) multi-core processor and a graphics card with 2GB or more of dedicated on-board memory. Kinect Fusion has been tested for high-end scenarios on a NVidia GeForce GTX680 and AMD Radeon HD 7850.
Note: It is possible to use Kinect Fusion on laptop class DirectX11 GPU hardware, but this typically runs significantly slower than desktop-class hardware. In general, aim to process at the same frame rate as the Kinect sensor (30fps) to enable the most robust camera pose tracking.
- Visual Studio 2010, or Visual Studio 2012. The free Express editions can be downloaded from Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express or Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Express.
The speech samples also require:
- Microsoft Speech Platform Software Development Kit (Version 11), if you need to compile the samples.
- Microsoft Speech Platform Runtime (Version 11), which is automatically installed as part of the Kinect runtime setup, if you want to run the samples only.
The Depth-D3D and DepthWithColor-D3D samples also require:
- DirectX Software Development Kit, if you need to compile the samples.
- DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) if you want to run the samples only.
There is a known issue regarding the DirectX SDK install failing when installed after the Kinect for Windows SDK.
The Avateering and XNABasics samples also require:
- Microsoft XNA Game Studio 4.0, if you need to compile the samples.
- Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 if you want to run the samples only.
The WebServerBasics-WPF C# sample also requires the following for web socket functionality:
- Windows 8
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5