The process of changing a value from one data type to another type is called conversion. Conversions are either widening or narrowing, depending on the data capacities of the types involved. They are also implicit or explicit, depending on the syntax in the source code.
In This Section
- Widening and Narrowing Conversions
- Explains conversions classified by whether the destination type can hold the data.
- Implicit and Explicit Conversions
- Explains conversions classified by whether Visual Basic performs them automatically.
- Value Changes During Conversions
- Describes how converting to another data type can change the value or data representation.
- Conversions Between Strings and Other Types
- Illustrates converting between strings and numeric, Boolean, or date/time values.
- Array Conversions
- Steps you through the process of converting between arrays of different data types.