This documentation is archived and is not being maintained.
Visual Studio .NET 2003
These step-by-step topics cover common data and XML scenarios.
Tip If you are new to ADO.NET, try one of the Windows Forms or Web Forms data walkthroughs before trying one of the general data walkthroughs.
In the Visual Basic and Visual C# Documentation
Windows Forms Data-Access Walkthroughs
- Simple Data Access in a Windows Form
- Describes the basic steps required for accessing SQL Server data via a dataset in a read-write Windows Form.
- Displaying Data in a Windows Form Using a Parameterized Query
- Describes how to create a dataset containing only selected records, based on criteria that users provide at run time in a Windows Form.
- Creating a Master-Detail Windows Form
- Describes how to create a parent-child relationship in a dataset and display related records in a Windows Form.
Web Forms Data-Access Walkthroughs
- Displaying Data in a Web Forms Page
- Illustrates a basic data-access scenario, providing step-by-step instructions for how to create a Web Forms page that displays data in a grid control.
- Creating Read-Only Data Access in a Web Forms Page
- Describes how to use an ADO.NET data command and data reader to provide optimized access to read-only data in a Web Forms page.
- Updating Data Using a Database Update Query in Web Forms
- Describes the basic techniques of creating a Web Forms page that uses a data command to update the database.
- Using a DataGrid Web Control to Read and Write Data
- Gives step-by-step details on how to use a grid control to allow users to view and edit data.
- Creating Paged Data Access Using a Web Forms Page
- Describes how to create a Web Forms page that allows users to view data records a few records at a time, paging back and forth to view earlier and later records.
General Data Walkthroughs
- Creating a Distributed Application
- Illustrates how to create an application with a middle-tier component (an XML Web service) that is used to get and update data.
- Creating a Dataset with Tables, Keys, and One-to-Many Relationships
- Describes the steps to create a dataset and use it to validate data in a one-to-many or keyed relationship.
- Handling a Concurrency Exception
- Describes how to use the DBConcurrencyException object to identify concurrency exceptions and the actual record that caused the error.
- Mapping Data Source Tables to Dataset Tables
- Describes how to load data from a database into a dataset based on a different schema using data adapter table and column mappings.
XML Data and XML Schema Walkthroughs
- Creating an XML File with an Associated XML Schema
- Describes how to create an XML file and a schema, associating the two, and working on the XML file in the designer's XML view.
- Creating an XML Schema with the XML Designer
- Describes the steps to create an XML purchase order schema as part of a Windows application.
- Reading XML Data into a Dataset
- Shows how to load XML data into a dataset, display it in a Windows Forms DataGrid control, then display an XML Schema for the XML file in a text box.
- Displaying an XML Document in a Web Forms Page using Transformations
- Gives step-by-step details on how to read an XML file and display it in different ways on a Web Forms page.
- Samples and Walkthroughs
- Provides access to all of the sample applications and step-by-step topics in Visual Studio.
- Accessing Data
- Provides links to information about working with ADO.NET data in Visual Basic and Visual C#.
- Walkthroughs in Visual Basic and Visual C#
- Shows a complete list of walkthroughs related to managed development in Visual Basic and Visual C#.
- Visual Basic Code Example Topics
- Shows quickstart-like code examples that help you perform common tasks in Visual Basic .NET.