|Important||This document may not represent best practices for current development, links to downloads and other resources may no longer be valid. Current recommended version can be found here. ArchiveDisclaimer|
Working with Performance Counters in Server Explorer
Using Server Explorer, you can explore existing performance counters on any computer to which you have access. You can view any counter available on these computers, including those you create in Visual Studio .NET.
Note You can also see information about performance counters in the Windows 2000 Performance window.
The Performance Counters node in Server Explorer lists the categories that exist on each server. You can expand each counter to see the instances it represents. Note that instances apply to the category rather than to individual counters, so each counter within a category will have the same instances.
To locate a performance counter in Server Explorer
- Expand the Server node, and then expand the node for the server you want to view.
Tip If the server you want to view is not listed, you need to add it. For more information, see Accessing and Initializing Server Explorer.
- Locate and expand the Performance Counters node beneath it.
To locate a performance counter in Windows
- Access the Control Panel for your computer.
- Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Performance. The Performance console window appears.
- To add a counter to the display, right-click the graph area in the window and select Add Counters.