Extending Forefront TMG Management
Forefront TMG Management is designed to be extensible. One way that you can extend Forefront TMG Management is to use Microsoft® Management Console (MMC) extension snap-ins. The Forefront TMG Management tree is itself an MMC snap-in.
This topic contains information specifically related to extending the Forefront TMG MMC snap-in. For general information about working with MMC, see Microsoft Management Console in MSDN.
Any Forefront TMG node can be extended with a snap-in.
Extension snap-ins can extend the following:
- The name space by adding scope pane child nodes.
- Context menus.
- Toolbars and toolbar buttons.
- Property pages.
There are several steps you need to take to create an extension snap-in.
To create an extension snap-in
- Define your schema in the FPCVendorParametersSet object.
- Write the code for the MMC snap-in.
- Store/retrieve the data in the FPCVendorParametersSet object retrieved by using the FPCSnapinNode.CurrentObject.VendorParametersSets property.
Each node of a Forefront TMG snap-in exposes its specific data to extension snap-ins by using the COM interface: IFPCSnapinNode. The interface contains five properties:
- ParentArray (of type IDispatch)
- CurrentObject (of type IDispatch)
- ComRoot (of type IDispatch)
- ParentPolicy (of type IDispatch)
- PluginPolicy (of type IFPCSnapinPluginPolicy)
The IFPCSnapinNode interface can be retrieved by querying the IDataObject interface of the Forefront TMG node that you want to extend. The ParentArray property retrieves an FPCArray object as exposed through the Forefront TMG administration COM object model. Note that this property returns an error for the Root node of the Forefront TMG snap-in. The CurrentObject property is interface-specific to the node to be extended. The PluginPolicy property retrieves the plug-in policy for the node to be extended. See How to Create a Microsoft Management Console Snap-in for more details.
This section contains the following topics:
- How to Create a Microsoft Management Console Snap-in
- How to Create a Context-Sensitive Menu Extension
- Remote Administration Installation
Build date: 7/12/2010