|Important||This document may not represent best practices for current development, links to downloads and other resources may no longer be valid. Current recommended version can be found here. ArchiveDisclaimer|
Working with Event Logs in Server Explorer
Using Server Explorer, you can explore existing event logs on any computer to which you have access. You can view any log available on these computers, including those logs you create from Visual Studio. NET.
Note The Servers node of Server Explorer is not available in the Standard Edition of Visual Basic and Visual C# .NET. For more information, see Visual Basic Standard Edition Features or Visual C# Standard Edition Features. You can also see information about event logs in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Computer Management window. For more information, see Launching Event Viewer.
To locate an event log in Server Explorer
- Expand the Servers node, and then expand the node for the server you want to view.
Tip If the server you want to view is not listed, you need to add it. For more information, see Accessing and Initializing Server Explorer.
- Locate and expand the Event Logs node beneath it.
To locate a log in Computer Management on a Windows 2000 server
- On the desktop for your computer, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
- In the dialog box that appears, expand the System Tools node.
- Expand the Event Viewer node. A full list of the event logs on the computer appears. You can click any log to see the entries it contains.