Creating Directories for Solutions
By default, solution level files such as .sln and .suo files, are created in the same physical directory folder as the first project that is created with the solution. Creating a directory structure similar to the logical structure shown in Solution Explorer makes project and solution files easier to locate and facilitates the task of sharing an entire solution with other developers on a team.
You can either specify a directory for the solution by creating just a solution or you can specify the directory when you create a new project.
To create solution directory
- On the File menu, select New, and then choose Blank Solution.
- In the New Project dialog box, enter a name and location for the solution.
You can specify a solution directory while creating project.
To create a solution directory while creating a project
- On the File menu, select New Project and select a template for the project you want to create.
- Enter a name for the project.
Note For some project types, the Name textbox is unavailable because specifying the location sets the project name. For example, Web applications and XML Web services are located on a Web server and derive their name from the virtual directory specified on that server.
- Choose More, and then select the Create directory for Solution check box.
- In the New Solution Name textbox, type a name for the solution.
The location of the solution and project directories is displayed in the Project will be created at text.
- To change the location of the solution and project directories, choose Browse and specify a new location.
- To verify the location, read the Project will be created at text.
For more information, see Creating Multi-Project Solutions.