Web Control Library Template
You can use the Web Control Library project template to author custom Web server controls. The template adds the necessary project items needed to start creating a control that can then be added to any Web project. For more information, see ASP.NET Server Controls.
Visual Basic Note This project type is analogous to the ActiveX Control project in Visual Basic 6.0. For more information, see Project Changes in Visual Basic .NET.
The template automatically adds the essential project references and files to use as a starting point for your application:
- AssemblyInfo (.vb file for Visual Basic or .cs file for Visual C#) - Used to describe the assembly and specify versioning information. For more information, see Programming with Assemblies.
- WebCustomControl file (.cs file for Visual C# or .vb file for Visual Basic) - Contains the code for your custom control, which is stored in the solution directory.
- References to these .NET Framework namespaces:
- System - Contains fundamental classes and base classes that define commonly used values and reference data types, events and event handlers, interfaces, attributes, and processing exceptions.
- System.Data - Contains classes that constitute the ADO.NET architecture, which is the primary data access method for managed applications (added by default to Visual Basic projects only).
- System.Drawing - Contains classes that provide access to GDI+ basic graphics functionality.
- System.Management - Contains classes for managing information and events about the system, devices, and applications instrumented to the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) infrastructure (added by default to Visual Basic projects only).
- System.Web - Contains classes and interfaces that enable browser/server communication.
- System.Xml - Contains classes that provide standards-based support for processing XML (added by default to Visual Basic projects only).