Server Core for Windows Server 2008 R2
Server Core is a minimal server installation option for the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system. Server Core provides a low-maintenance server environment with limited functionality.
Server Core is an installation option that is capable of some well-known server roles.
The minimal nature of Server Core creates limitations:
- There is no Windows shell and very limited GUI functionality (the Server Core interface is a command prompt).
- There is limited managed code support in Server Core.
- There is limited MSI support (unattended mode only).
Server Core is designed for use by network and file service infrastructure developers, server management tool and utility developers, and IT Planners.
Server Core requires Windows Server 2008 or later. This documentation describes Server Core as implemented on Windows Server 2008 R2.
General information about Server Core.
Information about using Server Core.
Reference documentation for Server Core.
- Server Core Blog
- About Windows Server Installation Options
- Server Core for Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012
- Server Core for Windows Server 2008