E-mail message filtering and correlation
[Applies to: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0]
The E-mail Router can automatically create e-mail activities in Microsoft Dynamics CRM, which are based on received e-mail messages. This kind of automation is known as e-mail message tracking. Users can select a filtering option that determines what e-mail messages will be tracked in Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Filtering is set on the E-mail tab of the Set Personal Options dialog box. The user filtering options are as follows:
- All e-mail messages. All e-mail messages that are received by the user will have activities created.
- E-mail messages in response to CRM e-mail. Only the replies to an e-mail message that is already tracked will be saved as e-mail activities. This option uses smart matching to relate e-mail messages to activities.
- E-mail messages from CRM Leads, Contacts, and Accounts. Only e-mail messages sent from leads, contacts, and accounts that exist in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM database are saved as activities.
By default, the E-mail messages in response to CRM e-mail option is enabled. Correlation occurs after an e-mail message is filtered. When an incoming e-mail message is processed by the E-mail Router, the system extracts information that is associated with the e-mail message subject, sender address, and recipient's addresses that link the e-mail activity to other Microsoft Dynamics CRM records. This correlation process, also known as smart matching, uses the following criteria to match received e-mail message information to e-mail activities.
- Subject matching. Prefixes, such as RE: or Re:, and letter case are ignored. For example, e-mail message subjects with Re: hello and Hello would be considered a match.
- Sender and recipient matching. The system calculates the number of exact sender and recipient e-mail addresses in common.
When the matching process is complete, the system selects the owner and the object of the incoming e-mail message.
System administrators can turn off all message tracking for a particular user by setting the E-mail access type Incoming value to None on the General tab on the User form.