Previewing an HTML Page in a Web Browser
The Visual Studio Web browser is a compact version of Internet Explorer. You can use this Web browser to review HTML documents you are building and also to review pages in other Web browsers for comparison.
Use the Visual Studio Web browser to see how your HTML documents will be displayed.
To preview an HTML document in the Visual Studio Web browser
- Add an existing or new HTML file to a project.
- Select the node for the HTML file in Solution Explorer.
- or –
Open the HTML file for editing and make it the active document in HTML Designer.
- On the File menu, choose View in Browser.
Note To enable View in Browser for Web documents not included in the active Web application, select Options from the Tools menu. Expand the Environment node, choose General options, and then select the Show Miscellaneous Files in Solution Explorer option.
The default Web browser window can be sized and positioned just like other features of the Visual Studio IDE. By default, the View in Browser command opens the default browser window in the docked state.
To resize and reposition the Visual Studio Web browser window
You can do the following:
- On the Window menu, choose Floating to undock the default browser window from Visual Studio.
- To resize the browser window, click any side or corner of the browser window and drag it to the desired shape.
- To reposition the browser window on your monitor screen, click the title bar of the browser window, and drag it to the desired position
- To maintain the browser window at a desired size, do not close it. Instead, drag the window to the side while editing your Web page in Visual Studio.
You also can use any Web browser installed on your system to preview HTML documents to ensure that your work displays consistently in each type of browser and version that you are supporting.
To preview an HTML document in the Web browser of your choice
- In Design view, open an HTML document for editing.
- Edit the document, and save your changes.
- On the File menu, choose Browse With.
The Browse With dialog box opens.
- Choose a browser from Browse List, and then choose Browse.
Note If the Web browser you want is available on your system but does not appear on the Browse List, choose Add, and find the desired browser.
The Browse With dialog box also includes a Set as Default check box.
To set a default Web browser
- Select this option to designate the browser you are opening as your default Web browser.
Adding a Web Browser | Open With Dialog Box | Documents, Environment, Options Dialog Box | Creating Scripts and Editing Event Handlers in HTML Designer | Editing HTML | Editing HTML Pages in Design View | Switching to Design View | HTML Designer