Find in Files Command
Search files using a subset of the options available in the Find in Files dialog box.
Edit.FindinFiles findwhat [/case] [/ext:extensions] [/lookin:searchpath] [/names] [/options] [/reset] [/stop] [/sub] [/text2] [/wild|/regex] [/word]
- Required. The text to search for.
- /case or /c
- Optional. Matches occur only if when the uppercase and lowercase characters exactly match those specified in the findwhat argument.
- Optional. Specifies the file extensions for the files to be searched. If not specified, the previous extension is used if one was previously entered.
- Optional. Directory to search. If the path contains spaces, enclose the entire path in quotation marks.
- /names or /n
- Optional. Displays a list of file names that contain matches.
- /options or /t
- Optional. Displays a list of the current find option settings and does not perform a search.
- /regex or /r
- Optional. Uses pre-defined special characters in the findwhat argument as notations that represent patterns of text rather than the literal characters. For a complete list of regular expression characters, see Regular Expressions.
- /reset or /e
- Optional. Returns the find options to their default settings and does not perform a search.
- Optional. Halts the current search operation if one is in progress. Search ignores all other arguments when
/stophas been specified. For example, to stop the current search you would enter the following:
- /sub or /s
- Optional. Searches the subfolders within the directory specified in the /lookin:searchpath argument.
- /text2 or /2
- Optional. Displays the results of the search in the Find Results 2 window.
- /wild or /l
- Optional. Uses pre-defined special characters in the findwhat argument as notations to represent a character or sequence of characters. For a complete list of wildcard characters, see Wildcards.
- /word or /w
- Optional. Searches only for whole words.
This example searches for btnCancel in all .cls files located in the folder "My Visual Studio Projects" and displays the match information in the Find Results 2 Window.
>Edit.FindinFiles btnCancel /lookin:"c:/My Visual Studio Projects" /ext:*.cls /text2