Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Workflow Backward Compatibility
[Applies to: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0]
Find the latest SDK documentation: CRM 2015 SDK
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 provides complete backward compatibility for workflows created for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0. It also offers an upgrade path for workflows and workflow assemblies developed for that version.
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 is supported by using Microsoft .NET Framework assemblies as an extension mechanism for workflows. Any previously registered .NET assemblies that you have developed for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 will continue to work after you upgrade the system to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0. Upon upgrade, the configuration information for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 workflow is added to the database but the supporting files remain on the server.
Although every effort is made to maintain backward compatibility with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 .NET Framework assemblies, this programming model is deprecated in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0. If you must change a plug-in or workflow .NET assembly from an earlier version of Microsoft Dynamics CRM, you should upgrade the code to use the new Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 event model to avoid issues with versioning. If you do not do this, you may have issues with plug-ins and workflows such as failure to run or registration failure.
The following workflow items are upgraded:
- Workflow Definitions
- Running Workflow Instances
- Workflow Log
- .NET Assemblies
The following workflow items are not upgraded:
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 workflow entities and messages. Applications that use Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 workflow entities and messages must be upgraded so that they use Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 workflow entities and messages. For more information, see Deprecated Entities and Deprecated Messages.
- Workflows that include the Post URL action, which was deprecated in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0.
- Order of execution of upgraded workflows.
- Workflows that include change stage or skip step.
© 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.