Sharing and Distributing Your Game
When you've created something incredible and want to show it off to others, XNA Game Studio makes it easy.
The XNA Creators Club offers the best way to share your game with a wide community of gamers, to get feedback and build enthusiasm for your game.
There are a variety of ways to share and distribute your game.
For all platforms, you can use the XNA Game Studio Package utility (xnapack.exe) to create a special package that other XNA Game Studio users can unpack and play. Using this utility allows you to share your game without exposing your source code or assets to other XNA Game Studio users.
- For all platforms, you can choose to share your source code and assets with other XNA Game Studio users. This is useful if you would like someone to review or modify your code or assets.
- For Windows games only, you can make your game available to any Windows user by distributing your completed game executables, along with a set of prerequisite software (called "redistributables"). All Windows users can play your game, even if they do not have XNA Game Studio installed on their computer.
The following are the available sharing options for Windows, Xbox 360 and Zune.
|Sharing Your Game Package||Sharing Your Source Code and Assets||Distributing Your Finished Windows Game|
|Windows||...with XNA Game Studio users||...with XNA Game Studio users||...with any Windows user|
...with XNA Creators Club members
...through Xbox LIVE Marketplace (after approval)
|...with XNA Creators Club members|
|Zune||...with XNA Game Studio users||...with XNA Game Studio users|
See the sections below for more information on each sharing and distribution type, including how to prepare your game to be shared or distributed, and how to play a game someone has shared with you.
In This Section
- Sharing Your Game Package
- Describes how to distribute your game to other XNA Game Studio users in a package that protects your source code and assets.
- Sharing Your Source Code and Assets
- Presents information about sharing your game's source code and assets with other XNA Game Studio users.
- Distributing Your Finished Windows Game
- Presents information about how to share your game with any Windows user, even if the user does not have XNA Game Studio installed.