Supported Operating Systems and Hardware
Supported Operating Systems
The following operating systems fully support XNA Game Studio.
|Operating system||Supported versions|
- XNA Game Studio 3.1 has been tested on Windows 7 Release Candidate. Support for the Windows 7 operating system is expected after the final release.
- Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (or the latest service pack) is supported, but is not required, for XNA Game Studio.
- Windows XP requires, at a minimum, Service Pack 2.
- Although XNA Game Studio itself is available only in English and Japanese, it is supported under any of the available language settings on Windows.
- Administrator permissions are not required to run XNA Game Studio, but they are to install it. For Windows Vista, elevated administrator permissions are required.
- Although the setup program for XNA Game Studio will complete on the Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 operating systems, XNA Game Studio is not officially supported on these operating systems, and the XNA Game Studio software may not work as expected.
To run XNA Framework games on a computer running a Windows operating system, you need a graphics card that supports, at a minimum, Shader Model 1.1, and DirectX 9.0c. We recommend using a graphics card that supports Shader Model 2.0 because some samples and starter kits may require it.
Ensure your graphics card is using the latest driver. Check with your hardware vendor or access Microsoft Update to find the latest version of a driver.
Other hardware requirements for XNA Game Studio are identical to those for Visual Studio 2008. For more information, see the Visual Studio documentation.