How To Get Started
If you are new to game programming, or just want to review the basic steps toward getting a simple game up and running in XNA Game Studio, see the how-to articles in Game Programming Basics.
To see how to integrate XNA Framework features and follow best practices for creating a complete game, see the articles in Extended Tutorials.
How-to articles are available in the following categories.
In This Section
- Game Programming Basics
- To get started writing games in XNA Game Studio, you may wish to review these key how-to topics.
- Content Pipeline
- Provides an overview of the Content Pipeline. The XNA Game Studio Content Pipeline builds art assets that you have included in your project into a form your game can load at run time on either Windows or the Xbox 360 game machines by calling ContentManager.Load.
- Application Model
- Provides functionality to accomplish common game development tasks.
- Describes how the XNA Framework Graphics libraries provide low-level resource loading and rendering capabilities.
- Provides classes and methods for manipulating vectors and matrices.
- Provides classes and methods for retrieving user input for keyboard, mouse, and Xbox 360 controller devices.
- Provides classes and methods for playing audio files.
- Describes how the XNA Framework Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media namespace provides classes and methods for retrieving system media, including pictures and songs.
- Provides classes that allow reading and writing of files.
- Gamer Services
- Contains introductory articles describing how to use gamer services: working with player profiles and preferences, the Xbox Guide user interface, Guide-based messaging, and other features provided by Xbox LIVE.
- Contains introductory articles describing how to create and join multiplayer game sessions, manage game state across clients, and interact with the friends list.
- Hardware and Platforms
- Provides information about programming for specific hardware types and platforms using the XNA Framework.
- Extended Tutorials
- Describes how to integrate XNA Framework features and follow best practices for creating games.