This documentation is archived and is not being maintained.
C++ Compiler, Language, and Linker
Visual Studio .NET 2003
The following compiler, linker, other build tools, and C++ language features are new for Visual C++ .NET 2003.
- Information on how to run a Managed Extensions for C++ application built with the current version's compiler on a previous version of the runtime; see Running a Managed Extensions for C++ Application on a Previous Version's Runtime.
- Managed Extensions for C++ Frequently Asked Questions.
- A walkthrough has been added showing how to port an existing, native application to use Managed Extensions for C++: Walkthrough: Porting an Existing Native C++ Application to Interoperate with .NET Framework Components
- You can now create a delegate on a method of a value type.
- The compiler's conformance with the C++ standard has been significantly enhanced for Visual C++ .NET 2003. See Standard Compliance Issues in Visual C++ for more information. See Breaking Changes in the Visual C++ Compiler for information on where your upgraded Visual C++ applications may no longer compile because of enhanced conformance.
- /arch compiler option is added.
- /Gf is deprecated and will be removed in the next version of Visual C++.
- /G7 compiler option is added.
- The /GS compiler option has been enhanced to help protect local variables from direct buffer overruns.
- The /noBool compiler option has been removed. The compiler now allows bool to appear only as a keyword (and not an identifier) in a C++ source code file.
- The long long type is now available as a typedef of __int64. See Fundamental Types for more information. Note that there is not yet support for long long in the CRT.
- The /Zm compiler option now specifies the precompiled header memory allocation limit.
- _InterlockedCompareExchange intrinsic now documented.
- _InterlockedDecrement intrinsic now documented.
- _InterlockedExchange intrinsic now documented.
- _InterlockedExchangeAdd intrinsic now documented.
- _InterlockedIncrement intrinsic now documented.
- _ReadWriteBarrier intrinsic added.
- implements attribute is now documented.
The following linker options have been added:
- The _STATIC_CPPLIB symbol is now documented for use with /MD.
- The _CPPLIB_VER symbol is now documented; see Predefined Macros for more information.
- The #import directive now has the following attributes documented:
The .SAFESEH directive and /safeseh ml.exe option were added.