Programming in Visual FoxPro
Microsoft Visual FoxPro is a powerful interactive data management tool, but you also can access the full power of Visual FoxPro by creating applications. Understanding object-oriented programming techniques and the event-driven model can maximize your programming productivity.
In This Section
- Creating Programs
- Explains the two ways to create a Visual FoxPro program, which is a text file containing a series of commands.
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Discusses how you can create self-contained application components that respond to user actions and to the system and which can be easily maintained and reused.
- Optimizing Applications
- Discusses ways to optimize performance by making your application smaller and faster.
- Accessing APIs
- Discusses how you can extend an application by taking advantage of external libraries such as Microsoft ActiveX controls or dynamic-link libraries (DLLs).
- Using Visual FoxPro
- Provides information on Visual FoxPro programming features that are designed to improve developer productivity, including Access and Assign methods, support for more graphic file formats, and language to simplify programming tasks.
- Provides common scenarios and step-by-step guides on how to create different types of applications and components.
- Overview of Visual FoxPro Features
- Discusses how Visual FoxPro gives you more of everything you have come to expect in a database management system (DBMS) — speed, power, and flexibility.
- Customizing the Visual FoxPro Environment
- Describes how you can customize your development environment after installing Visual FoxPro. Environment settings include the main window title, default directory, project, editor, debugger and form tool options, temporary file storage, field mappings for drag-and-drop operations, and many other options.
- Developing Visual FoxPro Applications
- Includes conceptual information about how to develop Visual FoxPro applications, instructions for creating databases and the user interface, and other tasks needed to create Visual FoxPro applications.
- Development Productivity Tools
- Discusses the developer tools for application development within the Visual FoxPro application and the Visual FoxPro language.