File Access with Visual Basic Run-Time Functions
In earlier versions of Visual Basic, files were processed using the Open statement and other related statements and functions. Visual Basic .NET includes compatible functions as part of its library, specifically in the System.IO.File namespace (for details, see System.IO Namespace). The topics in this section show how to process files directly to create, manipulate, and store text and other data using available file I/O functions.
In This Section
- File Access Types and Functions
- Explains statements and functions used with the three types of file access.
- Sequential File Access
- Covers how to open files for sequential access and edit their data.
- Random File Access
- Provides an overview of creating and reading random-access files.
- Binary File Access
- Discusses creating and accessing binary files.
- Data Access Functions
- Describes statements typically used to write data to and read data from files.
- Walkthrough: Manipulating Files and Folders in Visual Basic .NET
- Demonstrates how to read and write to a text file using Visual Basic Run-Time functions.