This documentation is archived and is not being maintained.
Visual Basic Language Tour
Visual Studio .NET 2003
As with any modern programming language, Visual Basic supports a number of common programming constructs and language elements. This language tour walks through all the essential elements of programming with Visual Basic.
In This Section
- What's New in the Visual Basic Language
- Provides information on inheritance, interfaces, overloading, multithreading, structured exception handling, custom attributes and common language specification compliance.
- Visual Basic Language Walkthroughs
- Provides step-by-step instructions for many programming tasks, including declaring and raising events, handling events, defining classes, using file I/O, calling Windows APIs, creating interfaces, building a common language runtime-based stack class, and multithreading.
- Language Changes in Visual Basic
- Provides an overview of the new features contained in Visual Basic .NET.
- Program Structure and Code Conventions
- Introduces the typical Visual Basic program structure, provides a simple Visual Basic program, "Hello World," and discusses Visual Basic code conventions.
- Visual Basic Language Features
- Provides an overview of the essential components of Visual Basic .NET.
- Object-Oriented Programming in Visual Basic
- Covers creating objects from the classes you define, and using those objects to simplify your coding and increase code reuse.
- COM Interop
- Explains the interoperability issues associated with creating and using COM objects with Visual Basic .NET.
- Multithreading in Visual Basic .NET
- Shows how to write code that performs multiple tasks simultaneously, to improve the performance and responsiveness of your applications.
- Processing Drives, Folders, and Files
- Covers file I/O operations using the System.IO model, FileOpen and Write functions, and the File System Object model.
- Exception Handling
- Covers using structured and unstructured exception-handling techniques to detect and possibly recover from program errors during execution.
- Visual Basic Language and Run-Time Reference
- Provides a complete reference for the Visual Basic language and its run-time elements.
- Visual Basic Compiler Options
- Offers information on using the Visual Basic compiler, and a reference to the Visual Basic compiler options.
- Visual Basic .NET Language Specification
- Provides a complete description of the Visual Basic .NET language, including syntax, semantics, and design.