|Connected Services Framework 3.0 - Billing Standard Business Event|
|Introducing the Billing Standard Business Event|
The Microsoft Standard Business Event (BillingSBE) is a service application that uses the Microsoft Connected Services Framework (CSF) to provide a service-oriented product that processes billing events in billing usage propagation and advice of charge (AOC) scenarios.
In billing usage propagation solutions, service-enabled value added service (VAS) systems send raw billing events, such as Usage Data Records, to the BillingSBE where they are transformed, batched, packaged, and dispatched to service-enabled billing systems. The BillingSBE enables you to specify multiple transforms for a single raw billing event so that the same usage data can be delivered to several billing systems. Delivery options, such as batch size, batch envelope, and delivery mode are also configurable.
In AOC scenarios, the BillingSBE mediates the exchange of AOC messages between one or more VAS systems and a general ledger billing system by transforming AOC messages between a common AOC message schema used by the VAS systems and a custom AOC message schema used by your general ledger billing system. In a typical AOC scenario each VAS system sends AOC request messages to the BillingSBE through a dedicated session. When the BillingSBE receives an AOC request through a specific session, it transforms the request sends it to the general ledger billing system. When the general ledger billing system returns an AOC response, the BillingSBE transforms it and sends it back to the same session. Entries in the session routing table ensure that the response message is returned to the VAS system.
What's new in the Billing Standard Business Event?
The BillingSBE has been upgraded from version 2.5 and many powerful features have been added, such as the following:
- The BillingSBE has been been upgraded to take advantage of features present in .NET Framework 2.0.
- The BillingSBE has been upgraded to use Microsoft Web Services Enhancements (WSE) 3.0.
- The BillingSBE now uses the Microsoft Enterprise Library to provide auditing, logging, and tracing capability.
- The BillingSBE now has dedicated event logs.
- A dedicated Microsoft Operations Management (MOM) pack has been added for the BillingSBE. This pack includes expanded reporting capabilities.
- The SERT Administrative Tool has been replaced with a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Snap-in with new and upgraded features.
- The BillingSBE now sends SOAP fault messages to indicate exceptions or processing error conditions.
- The BillingSBE now supports multiple event sources, and can receive multiple events from each event source.
- The BillingSBE can now deliver usage data to multiple billing systems.
- Enhanced security features have been provided through WSE Policy and dedicated role checks for incoming messages.
- A BillingSBE client library is provided to help you quickly build services with the Connected Services Framework SDK that use the BillingSBE . This library abstracts the BillingSBE administrative messages. The namespace for the client library is: Microsoft.ConnectedServices.Sbe.Billing.BillingSbeRuntime.