Debugging, Configuration Properties, <Projectname> Property Pages Dialog Box
Allows you to specify additional actions to be taken when the project goes into run mode.
For information on how to access the Debugging property page in the Configuration Properties folder, see Setting Visual Basic Project Properties.
- Start action
- Indicates the item to start when the application is debugged: the project, a custom program, a URL, or nothing. By default, this is set to Start project.
To access this property programmatically, see StartAction Property.
Start action option Description Start project Indicates that the executable (for Windows Application and Console Application projects) or the Start Page (for Web projects) should be started when the application is debugged. Class Library projects cannot be started directly. You must use a Start program or a Start URL action to debug them.
If Start project is selected, you can select the Page that will launch within the browser when you begin debugging.
Start external program
- Indicates that a specific program should be started when the application is debugged. For example, you might run a pre-built client that consumes your Class Library project. Click the ellipsis button to select the program to start.
- Indicates that a particular URL should be accessed when the application is debugged. For example, you might access the URL to a Web site that uses your Class Library project. Click the ellipsis button to select the URL to start.
Wait for an external process to connect
- This value only applies to ASP.NET Web Application and ASP.NET Web Service projects. For an ASP.NET Web Service project, the debugger will attach to a process that will call into your XML Web service. Set a break point in your XML Web service before you start so that the breakpoint is hit when the external process calls into your XML Web service.
- Command line arguments
- Indicates command line arguments to be called when running the program. Available when the Start action is set to start a project or a program. To access this property programmatically, see StartArguments Property.
- Working directory
- Indicates the working directory from which the project or custom program is launched. Available when the Start action is set to start a project or a program. To access this property programmatically, see StartWorkingDirectory Property.
- Use remote machine
- Allows remote debugging of an .exe. Specify the name of the machine on which the .exe will run. The location of the .exe on the remote machine must match the value of the Output Path property, which is on the Build property page in the Configuration Properties folder. The remote machine needs the debugger components installed. The user of the local machine needs to be in the Debugger Users group on the remote machine. The .exe must be in a shareable directory on the remote machine.
- Always use Internet Explorer
- Indicates that Internet Explorer should be used to start the project during debugging. If turned off, the default browser for Visual Studio .NET is used. Available when Start project (for Web projects) or Start URL is selected as the Start action. To access this property programmatically, see StartWithIE Property.
- ASP.NET debugging
- Determines if the debugger should attach to the server to enable debugging of Web Forms pages. To access this property programmatically, see EnableASPXDebugging Property.
- ASP debugging
- Determines whether the debugger should attach to the server to enable debugging of Active Server Pages (ASP) pages. To access this property programmatically, see EnableASPDebugging Property.
- Unmanaged code debugging
- Determines whether debugging of native code is supported. Check this option if you are making calls to COM objects, or if you start a custom program written in native code that calls your project. To access this property programmatically, see EnableUnmanagedDebugging Property.
- SQL Server debugging
- Enables debugging of SQL procedures from your Visual Basic application. To access this property programmatically, see EnableSQLServerDebugging Property.
Smart Device Developer Notes
- ASP.NET debugging, ASP debugging, Unmanaged code debugging, SQL Server debugging
- Not supported.