Designing Distributed Applications
Because Web technologies are rapidly becoming the platform of choice for supporting enterprise-wide applications, the infrastructure required to develop and host applications has grown in scale and complexity. The .NET Platform is the direct result of a major shift in the computer application architecture that took place during the 1990s.
In This Section
- Architectural Shifts and Developer Challenges
- Examines the shift in application architectures and developer challenges brought on by Internet technologies.
- An Overview of Distributed Applications
- Gives an introduction to building distributed applications with Microsoft technologies.
- Design Goals
- Provides links to topics that examine fundamental application design goals, such as performance and scalability.
- Planning Distributed Applications
- Includes links to topics with recommendations for distributed application design and making technology decisions.
- Programming the Web with XML Web Services
- Presents a guide to XML Web services technology implementations available with Visual Studio and the .NET Framework SDK.
- Enterprise Templates for Distributed Applications
- Provides links to topics that describe the uses and advantages of Enterprise Templates and how to use them.
- Data Design
- Presents concepts useful for designing enterprise data.
- Visual Database Tools
- Provides an overview of Visual Database Tools, which help you create and maintain databases and manage data-driven applications.
- Developing for Devices
- Describes two approaches for developing applications that run on devices. Use Smart Device Projects to develop rich applications that run on the .NET Compact Framework. Use ASP.NET Mobile Designer to build mobile Web applications for browser-equipped devices.
- Crystal Reports
- Provides documentation on Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .NET, the standard reporting tool for Visual Studio .NET
- Describes the challenges of intellectual property protection and includes documentation for an obfuscator for .NET assemblies that addresses these issues.
- Building Applications
- Provides links to information on creating ASP.NET Web applications and Windows Forms applications.
- Introduction to Distributed Applications and Data Integration
- Provides links to a detailed discussion about data integration in distributed, scalable applications.
- Enterprise Samples
- Points to two enterprise samples included with Visual Studio, which demonstrate distributed .NET Framework applications.
- Building Distributed Applications with .NET (http://msdn.microsoft.com/bdadotnet/)
- Examines the design of distributed applications to take best advantage of the .NET Platform.
- Decision Chart
- Provides a graphical, linked guide to decisions about designing your application.
- Programming with Office
- Provides information on using Microsoft Office and Visual Studio .NET as part of your business application.