Setting Debug Permissions
The following procedures show how to set permissions for debugging.
- Remote Debugging
- Debugging a System Service
- Cross Session Debugging and Terminal Servers
- Active Directory
To debug on a remote machine, remote debugging components must be installed on the remote machine. (See Remote Debugging Setup.)
When you try to debug on a remote machine, the debugger does two things :
- First, the debugger attempts to connect to the remote debugging components. To connect to these components, you must be a member of the Debugger Users group on the remote machine or an Administrator on the remote machine.
- Then, the debugger attempts to attach to the process. You must have the correct permissions to debug that process.
Visual Studio .NET Setup automatically adds the installing user to the Debugger Users group. If you did not install Visual Studio or the remote components, you may need to add yourself to the Debugger Users group. For details, see Adding Debugger Users.
To debug a system service, or to debug someone else's program on your own machine,
- You must own the process or have administrator privileges. (Script and managed code)
- You must be listed in the local group policy for Debug programs. (Native C/C++)
To access the local group policy
- From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools.
- In the Administrative Tools window, double-click Local Security Policy.
- In the Local Security Settings window, expand the Local Policies folder.
- Click User Rights Assignment.
- In the Policy column, double-click Debug programs to view current local group policy assignments in the Local Security Policy Setting dialog box.
- To add new users, click the Add User or Group button.
Native C/C++ only
Windows 2000 does not support cross-session debugging using a terminal server.
If you use Active Directory, consult Windows help for how to administer users and user settings. For more information, see the Active Directory Programmer's Guide in the Platform SDK.