Adding Items to a Deployment Project
In order to create an installer, you must first specify what needs to be included in the installer and where to install it on the target computer. You do this by adding items to the deployment project.
The types of items that can be added to a deployment project include the project outputs, files, Merge Modules, and components.
To add a project output or file to a deployment project
- Open the File System Editor. For details, see Opening the Deployment Editors.
- Select a folder on the target computer where the item will be installed.
Note You can also create new folders on the target computer. For details, see Adding and Removing Folders in the File System Editor.
- On the Action menu, point to Add, and then click Project Output or click File. In the resulting dialog box, select the item that you want to add.
Note You can also add items to a deployment project by right-clicking the project node in Solution Explorer. Any items added in this manner will be placed in the default folder — for standard applications the Application folder is the default; for Web applications the Web Application folder is the default. You can then move the items to another folder.
To add a merge module or component to a deployment project
- Select the deployment project in Solution Explorer.
- On the Project menu, point to Add, and then click Merge Module or click Component. In the resulting dialog box, select the item that you want to add.
Deploying Applications | Opening the Deployment Editors | File Installation Management in Deployment | Setting Deployment Project Properties | Adding and Removing Folders in the File System Editor | What's New in Deployment