The document is archived and information here might be outdated
Smart Client and Windows Application Articles
Visual Studio .NET 2003
This topic contains links to articles, product documentation, and MSDN Library topics containing information about creating smart-client applications using Visual Studio .NET tools and technologies.
- Debugging Windows Forms Controls Created with Visual Basic .NET or Visual C# .NET
- Learn the basics of how to debug your user controls, by creating a host application for them to run in. Stepping through code and setting breakpoints will also be discussed.
- Essential Code for Windows Forms Dialog Boxes
- Learn the steps for taking advantage of core functionality of Windows Forms dialog boxes (that is, OpenFileDialog, opening a file; SaveFileDialog, saving a file) that has often not been implemented in the .NET Framework classes.
- Implementing Drag and Drop in Visual Basic .NET
- Demonstrates how to implement drag and drop in common Windows scenarios.
- Navigating Multiple Related Tables in an ADO.NET Dataset
- A dataset in ADO.NET is an in-memory representation of data that can contain multiple related data tables. This paper describes the methods of navigating these related data tables within a dataset. You will create a Windows® application in Visual Basic® .NET or Visual C#™ .NET that returns related records based on a selected record, as well as compile aggregate information for related records using expression columns.
- Shaped Windows Forms and Controls in Visual Studio .NET
- It is easy to customize the shape of both Windows Forms and controls. This article walks you through the steps required to customize non-standard forms using an image file and a few property settings. Custom-shaped controls require merely a few lines of code.
- Using Windows XP Visual Styles With Controls on Windows Forms
- Covers how to incorporate Windows XP visual styles into your Visual Basic and Visual C# Windows applications.
- Walkthrough: Creating a Lookup Table on a Data-bound Windows Form
- Provides step-by-step instructions for creating a lookup table by creating a data entry form for the Orders table in the Northwind database.
- Working with Multiple Forms in Visual Basic .NET: Upgrading to .NET
- Describes how working with multiple forms has changed from previous editions of Microsoft Visual Basic and illustrates several key techniques, including displaying a second form, changing the appearance of another form, and using a form as a dialog.
- Designing Distributed Applications
- Information on application design decisions, such as system architecture, database design, and international considerations, as well as Enterprise Templates.
- Samples and Walkthroughs
- Find out about the latest updates in the Duwamish Online and Fitch and Mather sample applications.
- Creating Windows Applications
- Discusses the making of traditional Windows-based applications.
- Windows Forms Walkthroughs
- Provides step-by-step instructions for creating a number of Windows applications.
- Windows Forms
- Provides links to topics about the technologies and tools for creating Windows applications.
- Windows Forms Controls
- Provides links to topics about the controls designed specifically to work with Windows Forms.
- Windows Service Applications
- Describes how to create long-running executables.
- Accessing Data
- Discusses aspects of incorporating data access functionality into your applications.
- Programming with Components
- Describes components of all kinds, including those you use on servers.
- Building C++ Projects in Visual Studio
- Discusses using the Visual Studio integrated development environment (IDE) and property pages to build your project.
- .NET Framework
- Find out about the .NET Framework Software Development Kit (SDK), which allows developers to build Web-based applications and services that take advantage of the new .NET Framework technology.
- .NET Framework Class Library in Visual Studio
- Provides links to Visual Studio .NET topics that support the development of features based on classes in the .NET Framework.
MSDN Library Links
- Visual Studio Home page at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/
- Find pointers to product information, technical resources, additional samples and downloads and more.
- Articles and Columns
- Provides links to articles and other resources related to Microsoft® Visual Studio® .NET.
- Visual Basic .NET Articles
- Provides links to articles specific to the Visual Basic project and language.
- Visual C# .NET Articles
- Provides links to articles specific to the Visual C# project and language.
- Visual C++ .NET Articles
- Provides links to articles specific to the Visual C++ projects and languages, including Managed Extensions for C++.
- JScript .NET Articles
- Provides links to articles specific to scripting technologies.