Reporting Services Extensibility
Reporting Services is a full-featured reporting platform implemented as a Web service. The client tools and extensions included with Reporting Services use the same interfaces available to developers for building third-party applications. Developers can extend Reporting Services in the following ways:
- Create applications to manage a report server by using a Simple Access Object Protocol (SOAP) interface.
- Create applications or use Web browsers to manipulate report output through URLs.
- Create applications to configure a report server through Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) classes.
- Create additional rendering, delivery, security, and data processing extensions by using the Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Create Report Definition Language (RDL) files that can include custom elements.
For more information, see Reporting Services Programming.