Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000 includes an ODBC driver and OLE DB provider that support Oracle subscriptions to SQL Server publications on Intel computers. SQL Server 2000 Setup installs the driver automatically.
Note To replicate to Oracle ODBC and OLE DB Subscribers, you must also obtain the appropriate Oracle SQL*Net driver from Oracle or from your software vendor. You must then install the driver on the Publisher and the Distributor.
Replication Restrictions for Oracle Subscribers
The following restrictions apply when replicating to an Oracle ODBC Subscriber:
- Replication of tables that have names with spaces will not be created on the Oracle subscriber. Replication will fail with Oracle error ORA-00903: invalid table name.
- The date data type is a small datetime (the range is 4712 B.C. to 4712 A.D.).
If you are replicating to Oracle, verify that SQL Server datetime entries in a replicated column are within this range.
- A replicated table can have only one column of either text or image data type, which is mapped to long raw.
- The datetime data type is mapped to char4.
- The SQL Server 2000 ranges for float and real data types are different from the Oracle ranges.
The following table maps data types for replication to Oracle Subscribers.
|SQL Server 2000 data type||Oracle data type|
|binary||LONG RAW NOT NULL|
|bit||NUMBER (1, 0)|
|char||VARCHAR2 (900) NOT NULL|
|decimal||NUMBER (255, 3) NOT NULL|
|float||FLOAT NOT NULL|
|int||NUMBER (255, 3) NOT NULL|
|money||NUMBER (255, 3) NOT NULL|
|nchar||VARCHAR2 (2000) NOT NULL|
|numeric||NUMBER (255, 3) NOT NULL|
|nvarchar||VARCHAR2 (2000) NOT NULL|
|real||FLOAT NOT NULL|
|smallint||NUMBER (255, 3) NOT NULL|
|smalldatetime||DATE NOT NULL|
|smallmoney||NUMBER (255, 3) NOT NULL|
|tinyint||NUMBER (255, 3) NOT NULL|
Oracle Data Type Definitions
The following table lists the Oracle data type definitions.
|Oracle data type||Definition|
|DATE||Jan 1, 4712 B.C. to Dec 31, 4712 A.D.|
|DECIMAL||Same as Number|
|FLOAT||Same as Number|
|INTEGER||Same as Number|
|LONG RAW||Raw data; Same as Long|
|LONG VARCHAR||Same as Long|
|NUMBER||1.0E-130 to 9.99..E125|
|SMALLINT||Same as Number|
|RAW||Raw Binary Data <=255 bytes|
|VARCHAR||Same as Varchar2|
|BLOB||Binary Large Object <=4GB|
|COB||Char Large Object <=4GB|
|NCLOB||Same as Clob (for multibyte)|
|BFILE||Pointer to binary operating file|