Connection Property [Access 2003 VBA Language Reference]
You can use the Connection property to return a reference to the current ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) Connection object and its related properties. Read-only Connection.
expression Required. An expression that returns one of the objects in the Applies To list.
The Connection property is available only by using Visual Basic and is read-only.
Use the Connection property of the CurrentProject object to refer to the Connection object of the current Microsoft Access project (.adp) or Access database (.mdb) object. Use the Connection property of the CodeProject object to refer to the Connection object of the Access project or Access database code database object. You can use the Connection property to call methods on the Connection object such asand CommitTrans.
NotesThe Connection property actually returns a reference to a copy of the ActiveX Data Object (ADO) connection for the active database. Thus, applying the Close method or in anyway attempting to alter the connection through the Connection object's methods or properties will have no affect on the actual connection object used by Microsoft Access to hold a live connection to the current database. Since the Connection property is the main Shape provider connection, the following information is necessary when using this property.
- MSDataShape uses Recordset.CursorLocation = adUseClient. Do not set CursorLocation prior to assigning a recordset to CurrentProject.Connect.
- MSDataShape uses Recordset.CursorType = adOpenStatic. Do not set CursorType prior to assinging a recordset to CurrentProject.Connection.
- MSDataShape accepts Recordset.LockType = adLockOptimistic, adLockBatchOptimistic, or adLockReadOnly (default). If set to adLockPessimistic, it is changed to adLockOptimistic.
- The shape connection does not support the all ADOX operation, specifically the Columns.Properties collection is not supported.
- In order to ensure that a shape connection will work correctly, the Command.CommandType must be set to adCmdTable.